Asynchronous Learning

From elementary to post-secondary school, most people physically attend classes and learn from there. However, in this modern day and age, not everyone has the capability and availability to attend classes. This is evident with the number of online courses that are being offered to students, who prefer to learn online rather than in person. The reasoning ranges from flexibility in one’s schedule to have the ability to do other things, like work, simultaneously.

This type of online learning technique is called asynchronous learning, which is a synonym for learning at different times. More precisely, location and time are non-existent when it comes to this type of learning. Although the elements of location and time do not exist, like traditional classroom learning, it does not make this learning inferior, but rather a strong point. By being able to learn online, it opens multiple opportunities that traditional classroom learning could not offer. One of the biggest strengths that asynchronous learning boasts is the chance to learn from anywhere in the world that you choose from. Not having to dedicate a certain time to attend class allows for flexibility of other things like different classes, or even doing co-op.

However, there are some disadvantages to proceeding with this type of learning. One of these disadvantages is the in-person interactions that one would usually have (i.e. Student – Teacher pairing). Some would say that this is a type of interaction that allows for immediate response and creates the ability to communicate face to face with peers, as well as teachers.

Through my experiences with both types of learning, asynchronous learning is the type of learning that is most advantageous for me. With my experiences of using online courses, it has allowed for flexibility with my schedule. An example that best exemplifies this, would be this current semester. Through this semester, I have enrolled in three online courses at the University of Victoria to try and complete my degree. While being enrolled in these three courses, it has allowed me to maintain a full-time work position. Another example of a positive outcome from an online course, is not having a face to face interaction that ones have. While this reasoning is seen as a negative, there is also a positive that enables some to do. For the most part, having to do a presentation in front of an audience is something that is nerve-racking and uncomfortable. However, with online learning, one can post their ideas and work freely, without having to face a live audience.

Although there have been many positives in my experience, there is one key downside that raises concerns, that is time. In a sense, having the time to do things is a double-edged sword. While you have an ample amount of time to finish assignments and such, personally, I get carried away, and procrastinate often. Also, having to visit the online resource page is something not everyone does frequently. In return, some information can’t be relayed or found until the page is visited again, or an alert notifies them.

Essentially, asynchronous learning is a type of learning that is catered to certain types of people. These people being those who have multiple factors, that put them at a disadvantageous state with synchronous learning. However, some might not have an option to choose between the two because of situational factors that allow for one option, but not the other. Whether it’s because you are half-way across the world, or working a full-time job, asynchronous learning is the beneficial option that allows for the highest percentage of achievement.